HOW TO GET ME TO DEFINITELY WANT TO READ A BOOK

tttsmall

Top Ten Tuesday is an event created and hosted by The Broke and The Bookish

Hello everyone, I’m back! Sorta. … Okay, I’m trying to be more active on here, despite my crazy workload these past few days. (Big thanks to @sheyjohn for picking up the slack while I’ve been MIA.

Anyway! Here’s a list of things that are basically Gabby-bait and will make me want to pick up a book immediately.

1. TELL ME THERE ARE DRAGONS IN IT

I think I’ve made it pretty clear by now that I love books with dragons in them. If I hadn’t, idk how I’m supposed to make it any clearer.

Image result for toothless gif

How could you say no to this?

2. SHOW ME A PRETTY COVER

Okay so this one doesn’t always work. Mostly because I’ve gotten a little better at controlling myself when it comes to pretty covers. BUT, it will make me consider the book, at the very least.

3. TELL ME IT’S WRITTEN BY LEIGH BARDUGO

Do I really have to explain this one?

Image result for leigh bardugo

KWEEN

4. TELL ME THE MC IS AN ANTI-HERO

HAVE I EVER INTRODUCED YOU TO MY BOOK BOYFRIEND, KAZ BREKKER? WELL. YOU SHOULD UNDERSTAND THIS.

Image result for kaz brekker

Glorious art by Merwild

5.TELL ME IT’S GOT MYTHOLOGY/FOLKLORE IN IT

I’ve been a mythology and Folklore nerd ever since I can remember. I adore books that manage to masterfully tell folklore inspired tales, and/or incorporate mythology into the story.

6. TELL ME THAT IT DOESN’T RELY ON TROPES AND IS A FRESH CONTRIBUTION TO ITS GENRE

I love how YA has been improving in this aspect. YA authors keep growing and pushing boundaries with the stories they tell, and an important way they’ve been doing this is by breaking stereotypes, not relying on tropes, and giving their stories something that makes it new. I love this. Give me more of this. I’m down.

7. TELL ME THE ROMANCE IS WELL-WRITTEN, UNPROBLEMATIC SLOW-BURN

As a rabid shipper, it’s no secret that I’m a sucker for a well-written romance. I especially love it when the romance isn’t the story’s main plot. ROMANCE SUB-PLOT? I’m here for it. WELL-WRITTEN, SLOWBURN ROMANCE SUB-PLOT? Sign me the heckkkk up.

Image result for amy and jonah

I ship it. So hard.

8. TELL ME THAT ONE OF THE MAIN CHARACTERS IS A SNARKY PANTS AND/OR SASSMASTER.

As a snarky-pants and sassmaster myself,Β this is probably some form of narcissism making its way to the surface. But my God, I love me a snarky heroine. Or a love interest. Just give me some snark and I’m a happy woman.

Image result for joan and sherlock

Not book characters, I know, but not only are these two BOTH snarky and sassy, but they’re also judging you in unison. MY HEART SINGS.

9. TELL ME IT’S ATMOSPHERIC

One of the very many pleasures of reading is being able to fall head-first into a new world. Some novels achieve this better than others. Six of Crows, Uprooted, The Bear and The Nightingale, and A Thousand Nights are some of the few books that have felt truly atmospheric to me, and have been able to drag me into their depths so fully that I never really came out of them. Give me more books like this, and I will love you forever.

25068467

ayyyy

10. TELL ME IT’S DIVERSE

I really shouldn’t have to explain myself here. Humans are many, and we are different, and I like to see all kinds of people represented in the books I read. Like… suspension of disbelief can only go so far, you know?

Your cast of characters can be filled with anthropomorphic creatures and still be diverse as heck so don’t tell me I’m being unrealistic

gabrielle_sig

12 thoughts on “HOW TO GET ME TO DEFINITELY WANT TO READ A BOOK

1. susanblogginboutbooks says:

I’m not sure what a “rabid shipper” is, but I think? I’m with you. I like romance when it’s not the main point of the book and I especially love a slow-burning romance that develops naturally over time.

Happy TTT!

• Gabrielle says:

Rabid Shipper
      ~noun~

Someone who has a tendency to allow ships to consume her and take over her life. To the point where she’s behaving like they’re real people.

But omg, slow-burns FTW!

2. Huntress of Diverse Books says:

I am totally with you on number 7. I hate those insta-romances, where I’m left wondering, what they actually love about each other, other than their appearances. And mythology is a huge bonus for me as well.

Book covers are something I am trying to get better at controlling…

• Gabrielle says:

GOD. YES. Insta-love drives me up a wall! Like, where is the foundation?? Where is the strength and trust? Like, you don’t honestly expect me to believe that he looked into her eyes and then they lived happily, ever after, do you?

Liked by 1 person

3. Beth (Reading Every Night) says:

Oh my god this is an amazing list, and all of these could be reasons I pick up a book as well.
    I’d definitely love to see more books featuring dragons, there just aren’t enough, and anti-heroes, and mythology aspects, and books that don’t rely on tropes. In fact give me a book with all of this and it would be an instant favourite of mine! πŸ˜€

4. toomuchofabooknerd says:

I am in love with your entire list!!! ❀
    I will read ANYTHING by Leigh Bardugo, she is an actual Queen! (Can you believe I haven't read Six of Crows yet? Shame on me! But I already know I'll fall in love with Kaz soooo yeah can't wait :D)
    I also LOVE snarky characters ohmigosh give me more of them!!!

Liked by 1 person

• Gabrielle says:

Ahhhh!!! ILY!
      You HAVE to read Six of Crows. It’s the best. I will give my left foot to be in your shoes and have the opportunity to read that series for the first time again. So. BLOODY. BRILLIANT. KAZ! INEJ! MY SWEET MURDER LOVES.

Liked by 1 person

• toomuchofabooknerd says:

AHHH you’re getting me so excited for SoC! I read the first few chapters yesterday and couldn’t handle the feels so I stopped! 😩 But I think I’m ready to try again today, I just really want to get to know all these damn amazing characters!!! πŸ˜€